You are employed by Azure Beach Accountants and Financial Services (ABAFS). The company provides a broad range of accounting and bookkeeping services, including business accounting and tax compliance requirements, BAS preparation, bookkeeping, and tailored solutions to businesses and individuals.
You are a registered member of the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB), and as such, you are required to follow the ICB’s Code of Conduct in your work as a bookkeeper. Please read the Code of Conduct before you begin your role play. (Long URL: https://www.icb.org.au/Membership/Code-of-Conduct)
You have scheduled a meeting with Noor Fei, a new client of a long established and very traditional firm. Noor Fei comes from a traditional culture (the potential client is not a native-English speaker) and owns a number of well-established businesses. The client is keen to expand a new business venture of retailing home consumer products in the Australian market by establishing a retail chain throughout Australia.
Noor Fei would like to outsource the bookkeeping needs of this new venture, so has contacted Azure Beach Accountants and Financial Services and requested a meeting to discuss the business needs of the new venture.
During the meeting, will be looking to see that you:
- clarify the client’s business needs and expectations of the work to be done
- provide an outline of the services that you and Azure Beach Accountants and Financial Services can provide and seek feedback from the client in relation to the type, scope and quality of the services they require
- outline any financial advice, information and services that you can offer Noor Fei in relation to their query and provide information on the services you can provide in line with the client’s stated range, scope and quality expectations
- communicate clearly and use effective questioning and active listening techniques
- reach an agreement with Noor Fei on the advice and services to be provided
- refer the client to relevant services where client needs, and requests are outside the scope of service provided by Azure Beach Accountants and Financial Services
Role of the student being assessed
- You, Bookkeeper/Team Leader with Azure Beach Accountants and Financial Services
- You are qualified to provide two types of services to clients: bookkeeping services and BAS services. You hold a Certificate IV in bookkeeping and are registered with the TPB.
Role/s of the person/s in supporting roles
- Participant 1, Noor Fei
- Noor Fei is a successful businessperson who has contacted Azure Beach Accountants and Financial Services, looking for a qualified bookkeeper to take on the book work for a new business.
Additional Role Play information
This information is for the person playing the role of Noor Fei, business owner seeking advice and services from Azure Beach Accountants and Financial Services (ABAFS).
During the role play, the student will ask you questions about your needs and expectations in engaging ABAFS. This will include questions about the type, scope and quality of services that you require. Use the information outlined below to answer the questions.
As Noor Fei, you are the owner of a long established and very traditional firm. You come from a traditional culture and are not a native-English speaker. You own a number of well-established businesses. You are keen to expand a new business venture of retailing home consumer products in the Australian market by establishing a retail chain throughout Australia.
You would like to outsource the bookkeeping needs of this new venture, so have contacted Azure Beach Accountants and Financial Services and requested a meeting to discuss the business needs of the new venture. The requested meeting will also be used to seek advice on how to invest your personal savings into a managed fund with high returns.
Summary of needs
Noor Fei has applied for an ABN (5464 3321 448) and set up the company but needs assistance with:
- registering the business name (ABC Retail)
- set up of an accounting system such as Xero
- assistance with lodging tax returns and preparing depreciation schedules on capital expenditure
- Advice on efficient record retention for compliance with ATO requirements
- assistance and advice on processing and lodging business activity statement
1. how to conduct meeting with Noor Fei ， how to have the conversation with Noor fei
2. conduct the Client Needs Questionnaire