After exposure to the following areas the student will be prepared to discuss and compare these areas to previous course curriculum.
Reporting measures (UHDDS, HEDIS, MDS, PQRI, Core Measures, MeaningfulUse, etc.)
Student Activities – Discuss in detail the objectives below:
1. Code inpatient charts using the facility’s encoder (if applicable, students may observe, however, it is highly encouraged that the site allows the student to have some hands-on coding experience).
2. Code outpatient charts using the facility’s system (if applicable, students may observe, however, it is highly encouraged that the site allows the student to have some hands-on coding experience).
3. Discuss with the coder, coding manager, or office manager how coding impacts the facility’s bottom line.
4. Discuss with the coding manager or supervisor what the facility does to encourage CDI (clinical documentation improvement).
5. Note credentials for coders.
6. Note type of CEU training provided for coders.
7. Describe the revenue cycle process at the facility.
8. Describe bill reconciliation.
9. Describe how the chargemaster is updated, maintained, etc.