As a group- Identify a health concern within Victorian First Nations Communities. Present data that relates to the chosen health concern.
Discuss why this concern has been identified-Incorporate the sociological and historical context of this contemporary health concern.
Analyse and explain what does and does not work when working with First Nations Communities.
Identify an existing Aboriginal led, self-determined program that is conducted by VACCHO’s that addresses the chosen health concern.
- the health issue and why it’s important to target it
What is it he health issue? What is the demographic you are wanting to reach? What does the data say about that demographic?
– for example, diabetes in elderly Aboriginal women living in regional Victoria or social and emotional health in young Aboriginal men aged 12-17 in the inner suburbs of Melbourne. As a group discuss and agree.
- culturally appropriate resources
- addressing the health topic
- From what you have learnt in the unit, to ‘what does and doesn’t work’. Always remembering historical and sociological context
- Identify a relevant, Country appropriate, existing self determined program that is successfully addressing the health concern Research and identify an already established, Aboriginal-led program. Discuss why these programs have been successful.