Delegation has many benefits yet is also affected by barriers. Registered nurses need the skills to effectively make assignments and delegate client care tasks. The RN not only needs to understand each team member’s role, responsibilities, and scope of practice, but also needs to consider client acuity and criticality as well as supervision needed when delegating and assigning.
- What are the benefits of delegation?
- What are barriers to effective delegation?
- How does delegation relate to client safety and quality outcomes?
- During the simulation, did assigning acuity to each of the clients come easy to you? Or did you struggle? What was difficult about assigning acuity?
- what does ‘criticality’ mean when referring to clients? Did you score well on that section? What was difficult about determining the criticality of each client? Why is this an important skill?
- How confident did you feel assigning the clients to the rest of the team? What were some of the ways you made your decisions?
- After completing this, how ready do you feel about supervising others on your team? Provide specific information.