Registries and Indices
After exposure to the following areas the student will be prepared to discuss and compare these areas to previous course curriculum.
- Master patient index / Patient index
- Disease and operation indexes
- Physician indexes
- Registries (e.g. cancer, trauma, implant, diabetes, transplant,etc.)
- Healthcare databases (e.g. MEDPAR, NPDB, HIPDB, State Administrative Databanks, Public Health, vital statistics, etc.)
- Birth, death certificates
Student Activities – Discuss in detail the objectives below:
- Describe how the MPI is set up at the facility.
- Describe the various indices used at the facility (e.g. operation, physician,disease, etc.).
- Note the position/person responsible for maintaining the various indices.
- Describe registries utilized.
- Describe data reporting to the state, public health, etc.
- Describe how the facility uses MEDPAR data.
- Is the secondary data collected from these various indices and registries automated?
- Describe frequency of abstracting on indices and registries.
- Describe systems used to collect data.
- Describe frequency of data reporting.