RK is a 25-year-old male who was admitted to the critical care unit 8 days ago for treatment of multiple musculoskeletal injuries resultingfrom a fall while rock climbing. The client was diagnosed with insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes 3 years ago and has a
3-year history of depression being treated with amitriptyline. The client has been in
traction after open reductions of a right tibia and left femur open fractures since admission to the unit and is prescribed prophylactic aminoglycoside and antibiotic therapies. Pain is being managed with acetaminophen with codeine (Sole et al., 2021).
● Which of the following potential issues may place RK at risk for acute kidney injury (AKI)?
▪ Antibiotic therapy
▪ Amitriptyline therapy
▪ Aminoglycoside therapy
▪ Current pain medication therapy
● Provide an explanation for why each selected issue may place RK at risk for AKI and support rationales with citations from the text or literature
● What signs and symptoms might RK exhibit with AKI? Support with citations.
● Describe significant and common complications of AKI. Support with citations.
● What diagnostics would you anticipate the provider would order to assess for AKI?
● Provide therationale for all anticipated diagnostics and support rationales with citations.
● What results from the anticipated diagnostics would indicate AKI?
● What orders would you anticipate for management of AKI?
● Provide rationale for each anticipated order and support with citations.
● What are your topthree nursing priorities for RK?
● Provide rationale for each nursing priority and support rationales with citations.